Top 150+ Twitter Abbreviations you Need to Know in 2021
Twitter is a powerful social media channel that offers the least character limit. In order to make the proper utilization of the world limit, Twitter users make use of abbreviations. In this article, we will be sharing some of the top Twitter abbreviation so you can use the platform more efficiently for your business.
Twitter is probably the only social media with a word limit of only 280 characters. In these 280 characters, users have to say what they want to say and at the same time, make sense to other users as well. For this purpose, Twitter Slang/abbreviations exist.
Table of contents
Useful Twitter Abbreviations for Business
Twitter acronyms or abbreviations are odd mash-up of old-school chat room phrases, text slang, corporate buzz words, and common sense short forms.
There is nothing more embarrassing than finding out that the word you thought was a compliment in some other language was actually a drug reference or a product slang.
To save you from such embarrassments in the future, I have curated some of the most famous Twitter slang for you, and while it is not a comprehensive dictionary of all things Twitter, it will give you a basic idea.
Technical Twitter Abbreviations
1. DM = Direct message
A direct message is a message only you and the person who sent it can read.
2. CT = Cuttweet.
Another way of saying partial retweet.
3. RT = Retweet.
The tweet you’re looking at was forwarded to you by another user
4. PRT = Partial retweet.
The tweet you’re looking at is the truncated version of someone else’s tweet.
5. MT = Modified tweet.
This means the tweet you’re looking at is a paraphrase of a tweet originally written by someone else
6. PRT = Please retweet
A plea to put at the end of a tweet
7. HT = Hat tip
This is a way of attributing a link to another Twitter user
8. CC = Carbon-copy.
Works the same way as email
9. CX = Correction
Industry Twitter abbreviations
10. EM = Email Marketing
11. SEO = Search Engine Optimization
12. SROI = Social Return on Investment
13. SN = Social Network
14. YT = YouTube
15. UGC = User Generated Content
16. SMO = Social Media Optimization
17. FB = Facebook
18. LI = LinkedIn
19. SM = Social Media
20. SMM = Social Media Marketing
21. EZine = Electronic Magazine
Conversational Twitter Abbreviations
22. BGD = Background
23. CD9 = Code 9, parents are around
24. BTW = By the way
25. AB/ABT = About
26. DD = Dear daughter
27. AFAIK = As far as I know
28. AYFKMWTS = Are you f—ing kidding me with this s—?
29. BR = Best regards
30. CHK = Check
31. CUL8R = See you later
32. DP = used to mean “profile pic”
33. FML = F— my life.
34. FUBAR = F—ed up beyond all repair (slang from the US Military)
35. BH = BBFN = Bye for now
36. FB = Facebook
37. B4 = Before
38. DS = Dear son
39. FF = Follow Friday
40. EMA = Email address
41. DYK = Did you know, Do you know
42. F2F /FTF = Face to face
43. FB = Facebook, F— buddy
44. HAGN = Have a good night
45. DF = Dear fiancé
46. DAM = Don’t annoy me
47. FFS = For F—‘s Sake
48. EM/EML = Email
49. FOTD = Find of the day
50. FTW = For the win, F— the world
51. FWIW = For what it’s worth.
52. HTH = Hope that helps
53. GMAFB = Give me a f—ing break
54. HAND = Have a nice day
55. ICYMI = “In case you missed it,” a quick way to apologize for retweeting your own material
56. GTFOOH = Get the f— out of here
57. GTS = Guess the song
58. HOTD = Headline of the day
59. IIRC = If I remember correctly
60. KYSO = Knock your socks off
61. KK = Kewl kewl, or ok, got it
62. HT = Head through
63. IC = I see
64. IDK = I don’t know
65. LHH = Laugh hella hard (a stronger version of LOL)
66. ZOMG = OMG to the max
67. IMHO = In my humble opinion.
68. NFW = No f—ing way
69. ORLY = Oh, really?
70. YOYO = You’re on your own
71. IWSN = I want sex now
72. LMAO = Laughing my ass off
73. IRL = In real life
74. JK = Just kidding, joke
75. JV = Joint venture
76. LO = Little One (child)
77. LOL = Laugh out loud
78. MM = Music Monday
79. LMK = Let me know
80. JSYK = Just so you know
81. NSW = Not safe work
82. NSFW = Not safe for work
83. MRJN = Marijuana
84. OH = Overheard
85. MIRL = Meet in real life
86. NCT = Nobody cares, though
87. RLRT = Real-life re-tweet, a close cousin to OH
88. NBD = No big deal
89. NJoy = Enjoy
90. OMFG = Oh my f—ing God
91. PNP = Party and Play (drugs and sex)
92. QOTD = quote of the day
93. RE = In reply to, in regards to
94. RTQ = Read the question
95. SFW = Safe for work
96. RLRT = Real-life re-tweet, a close cousin to OH
97. OOMF = One of my friends/followers
98. NTS = Note to self
99. RTFM = Read the f—ing manual
100. SNAFU = Situation normal, all f—ed up (slang from the US Military)
101. RLRT = Real-life re-tweet, a close cousin to OH
102. SMH = Shaking my head
103. STFW = Search the f—ing web!
104. TFTT = Thanks for this tweet
105. SOB = Son of a B—-
106. TFTF = Thanks for the follow
107. SO = Significant Other
108. TJ = Tweetjack, or joining a conversation belatedly to contribute to a tangent
109. TY = Thank you
110. SRS = Serious
111. SMDH = Shaking my damn head, SMH, only more so
112. STF = Shut the f—
113. STFU = Shut the f— up!
114. TL = Timeline
115. TYIA = Thank you in advance
116. TT = Trending topic
117. W or W/ = With
118. TLDR/TL;DR = Too long didn’t read
119. TMB = Tweet me back
120. TYVW = Thank you very much
121. WTV = Whatever
122. YMMV = Your mileage may vary
123. YW = You’re welcome
124. YKYAT = You know you’re addicted to
125. W/E or WE = Whatever or weekend
126. TYT = Take your time
127. YKWIM = You know what I mean
128. YOLO = You only live once
129. YGTR = You got that right
130. LI = LinkedIn
131. IMO = In My Opinion
132. To/Too/Two = Short way to say “to”, “too”, or “two” that conserves characters
133. PPL = People
134. RE = Reply
135. S/O = Shout Out
136. <3 – Love
137. G+ = Google +
138. IG = Instagram
139. BRB = Be Right Back
140. CMV = Change My View
141. ELI5 = Explain It To Me Like I’m Five
142. FBF = Flashback Friday
143. OC = Original Content
144. TFW = That Feeling When
145. WBW = Way Back Wednesday
146. WCW = Woman Crush Wednesday
147. ETA = Estimated Time Of Arrival
148. KPI = Key Performance Indicator
149. MoM = Month over month
150. SMART = Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Timely
151. SMP = Social media Platform
- #BrandChat = private chat about branding
- #FB = The user is sending this post to Facebook
- #CMGR = Community Manager topic chat
- #CMAD = Community Manager Appreciation Day
- #in = the user is sending this post to LinkedIn
- #LI = This user is sending this post to LinkedIn
- #SMManners = Social media manners chat
- #Mmchat = Marketing and social media chat
- #FF = Short way of saying Follow Friday, or a recommendation that others follow the user
- #SMOchat = Social Media Optimization chat lead by Stanza
- #SocialMedia = an all-inclusive chat for subjects big and small in the subject of Social Media
- #SMMeasure = For discussion of analytics and measurement, lead by MarketWire and Sysomos
- #Pinchat = a chat for maximizing Pinterest use
- #SocialChat = Social media chat lead by SocialParle.
- #LinkedInChat = For general use questions and questions about marketing/self-promotion on LinkedIn
If you think we have missed something, mention it in the comments section and we would love to include it in the list and give you a special credit.
See-through delicate embroidered organza blue lining luxury acetate-uppercas.